Public Palace

San Marino per tutti

Public Palace

Accessible. Route n.1, 2, Route n.5 and Route n.6

The present building stands on the site where originally stood the ancient one called Domus Magna Comunis (Large House of the Commune).
The new Public Palace or Government Palace was built between the years 1884-1894 and designed by the Roman architect Francesco Azzurri, president of the Academy of St. Luke in Rome, who, understanding the expectations and tastes of the customers of San Marino, designed it in the characteristic style of the municipal buildings of the 12th and 14th centuries. Local workers, especially stonecutters, were employed directly by the San Marino master builder Giuseppe Reffi, while the decorations, the wrought iron works and the furniture were made by artisans specially chosen by architect Azzurri. After a hundred years of life, the building, no longer suitable to modern needs, underwent complex restoration and renovation works carried out by the internationally renowned architect Gae Aulenti, which ended on September 30, 1996 with a grand opening.
The Palace is the seat of the highest offices of the State and there take place the meetings of the Great and General Council and of the Council of the Twelve.
The main fa├žade is characterized by three large arched openings and an imposing crenellated tower clock where you can see a triptych of Murano mosaic depicting Saints Leo, Marinus and Agata.
The Palace surface, made of sandstone, is dotted with the coats of arms of prominent Italian families and those of the four Castles (municipalities) that formed the old countryside of the Republic: Serravalle, Fiorentino, Faetano and Montegiardino.
In the middle, between two large windows, is a polygonal balcony from which, with a touching ceremony, are announced the names of the newly-appointed Captains Regent.
On the right side of the building is a bronze statue of the Founder Saint Marinus, modeled in 1894 by Giulio Tadolini.