Church and Convent of the Capuchin Fathers

San Marino per tutti

Church and Convent of the Capuchin Fathers

Non accessible. Insert on Route n.3

Built in the 16th century, it was consecrated in 1709. In the place where it stands there was a chapel dedicated to St. Quirinus, as it can be seen from the stone inscription on the fa├žade. Inside, next to the altar, is a painting by Federico Zuccari depicting the Deposition of Christ. Noteworthy is the tabernacle of wood and ivory and in a chapel the painting depicting Our Lady of Lourdes, crowned by Cardinal Giovan Battista Nasalli Rocca dating from 1930. The Church, besides its ancient architecture, is well known also for several historical events which happened there. The most famous dates back to 31 July 1849 when Garibaldi, who took refuge in San Marino to escape the Austrian army, in front of this building released the soldiers of the first Roman legion. In the churchyard is the shrine dedicated to St. Francis.