Valloni House

San Marino per tutti

Valloni House, seat of the State Library and Archive

Accessible. Insert on Route n.3

The building dates back to the 17th-18th century and has undergone several restorations in time, the most important of which followed the bombing occurred during World War II.
The building, owned by the Belluzzi family, was used for a number of different functions over the centuries, up to the present days, when it became the seat of the State Library and Archive.
Inside the palace is a piano nobile (noble floor) where the two Captains Regent, the Heads of the State, receive the diplomatic and consular corps and the guests after the ceremony of investiture, which traditionally takes place each April 1st and October 1st. The room has a high historical value as on the walls are transcribed in chronological order all the names of those who have held this high office from 1243. The first Captains Regent were Oddone Scarito and Filippo da Sterpeto. The first woman to be appointed was His Excellency Maria Lea Pedini during the semester April 1st - October 1st, 1981.
The Library was created thanks to the collection started in 1839 by the Onofri family and to the acquisition in 1846 of the library at Valloni House kept by the same family but lying unused. The Captains Regent of that time decided to collect and sort the book holdings of San Marino to make them available to young local students and enhance the people’s knowledge. Over the centuries, the library collection has increased thanks to numerous donations that contributed to the birth of the present State Library.

Accessibility of the house

in cooperation with Village for all – V4A®

Visit the page dedicated to accessibility to find the map of distribution of the venue, the map of toilets and all the necessary information.
Dedicated page

Contact us

For further information contact us.